Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Eucalyptus

In article , times says...

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message

Well - we had two die on us recently in hard winters.(:-(
They are not very happy in the North (Cheshire) it
would seem.

Eucalyptus pauciflora (aka the 'snow gum' which is native to alpine areas of
SE Australia) should survive hard winters quite well.

I think what usually does them in, is being planted in deep rich
loam then subjected to high winter rainfall and wind; the heavy
topgrowth then rocks the roots loose in soggy soil.

They do better planted in rocky poor soil which holds less water and
where the roots can get between rock for an anchor grip. There are some
huge specimens here, growing in poor soil over rock. But in windspeeds
we get here, not a tree for close to houses or roads.

Janet (Arran)