Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Eucalyptus

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , times says...

"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message

Well - we had two die on us recently in hard winters.(:-(
They are not very happy in the North (Cheshire) it
would seem.

Eucalyptus pauciflora (aka the 'snow gum' which is native to alpine areas
of
SE Australia) should survive hard winters quite well.

I think what usually does them in, is being planted in deep rich
loam then subjected to high winter rainfall and wind; the heavy
topgrowth then rocks the roots loose in soggy soil.

They do better planted in rocky poor soil which holds less water and
where the roots can get between rock for an anchor grip. There are some
huge specimens here, growing in poor soil over rock. But in windspeeds
we get here, not a tree for close to houses or roads.

Which E. pauciflora sub species are you were describing?

E. pauciloras are most commonly stunted and can live well in soggy soil.

We have a very ancient one growing on a drainage line where it would have
always had wet roots. Although the butt of it would be 20 ft around it'd
never have been more than 25 ft high.

It's also had to cope with rich soil since this land was cleared in the
1960s as the cattle will settle round it as a cattle camp with all the
resultant dung that can provide if they are allowed access to that paddock.

Sadly, that tree is now in the last stages of it's life and about 10 years
ago threw up a growth about 30 ft out from the main trunk and that has now
grown like a willowy teenager adn reached what we stronly suspect will be
it's final height of about 25 ft. Hopefully it will now start to fill out
and take the place of our ancient one.