Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default What the hell is wrong with this group?

Sacha wrote in news:b96thoF893cU1
@mid.individual.net:

I agree. My own view is that this is a real treasure trove of
information for gardening at every level and all of us can receive
help and learn from others all the time. And I know there are people
who lurk and don't post and they'd miss out in a moderated group. The
persistent troll, or the occasional idiot that wanders in, don't
detract from the overall value of urg, imo. But quibbles about
spelling and grammar would be better left at the door, again imo

only,
of course. Plenty of people are dyslexic to a greater or lesser

degree
and really should not be dissuaded from posting here because someone
persists in objecting to errors. While sometimes it's necessary to
correct the spelling of plant names for the sake of good information,
the rest should be overlooked.

I agree.
And I like your creative spelling of Dislexick.:-)

Baz

KO. ;-) Several members of my wider family are dyslexic to a greater
or lesser degree but they're mostly rather clever, also to a greater or
lesser degree! ;-) So I do know that it's no reflection upon
intelligence or ability, though for some reason, I take the opposite
side of the family coin, because words and their spellings easily stick
in my head while I and maths are sworn enemies. Arithmetic, yes. Maths
= me, screaming and running into the hills. What really pains me about
the attitude to dyslexia is how easily - even now - people who suffer
from it can be dismissed as 'not very bright'. I know, absolutely,
that this is not the case, any more than someone who is colourblind
isn't 'very bright'. Dyslexia is a particular trial for peope in
horticulture. Not only are they trying to learn and write another
language when naming plants, or writing their labels, they're trying to
*remember* those names even without seeing them written down. I think
it takes quite a degree of persistence to go through that and continue
to battle with it throughout a career. Having had a lot of first hand
experience of people with dyslexia, I admire those who deal with it
daily very much.

My "training" to deal with dyslexia when reading, was to recognise the
word and not to get bogged down trying to spell it. But writing is a
different matter. Thanks to spell checker software it is quite easy now.
When I was at school there was no such thing. A NIGHTMARE.
My music teacher was sympathetic and taught me to read music, in a basic
way. And my maths teacher was stunned that I could master to some degree
algebra and trig. at age 11 when I went to the comprehensive school.
My primary school teacher thought I was thick, so I never tried to
impress her. I just grunted and got myself a bad attitude. My older
brother tought me most things then.

Thank goodness things have become better for the younger dyslexic.
Baz