Old 11-09-2013, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Petition against ban on non-approved seeds

In article ,
says...

In article ,
says...
Subject: Petition against ban on non-approved seeds
From: David.WE.Roberts
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Our allotment society has circulated this link.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/
We_dont_accept_this_Let_us_keep_our_seeds_EU

Scary if it is accurate.

It isn't accurate. It's hysterical scaremongering.

We've had this discussion before on urg.

Janet.

The previous thread is called Haveyou heard about this, started May
12th.

I quote my post to it:

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/health_consu...oposal_aphp_en.
pdf

Page 16, para 27,

"Plant reproductive material which is made available on the market
only in limited quantities by small producers (niche market
plant reproductive material) should be
exempted from the requirement of belonging to a registered variety. That
derogation is necessary to prevent undue constraints to the making
available on the market of plant reproductive material, which is of
lesser commercial interest, but is important for the
maintenance of genetic diversity. "

That statement appears to exclude Heritage seeds (and small
producers/traders in Heritage seeds) from the need to register
varieties.

Paras 36 and 37 also appear to derogate Heritage material

Plus, there will be no restriction or registration requirement on non-
commercial exchanges of seed between private individuals

Janet