Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Petition against ban on non-approved seeds

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:55:00 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 11 Sep 2013 21:03:02 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:32:24 +0200, Martin wrote:

Exactly. See Janet's reply.

I don't see any reply - perhaps there is a Janet in my kill file? ISTR
problems with one poster called Janet.

So does anyone know if this is a real issue - will we see heritage
varieties disappear from seed suppliers and plant breeders?

Cheers

Dave R

Janet's reply was as follows:

"The previous thread is called Have you heard about this, started May
12th.

I quote my post to it:

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/health_consu...oposal_aphp_en.
pdf

Page 16, para 27,

"Plant reproductive material which is made available on the market
only in limited quantities by small producers (niche market plant
reproductive material) should be exempted from the requirement of
belonging to a registered variety.
That derogation is necessary to prevent undue constraints to the making
available on the market of plant reproductive material, which is of
lesser commercial interest, but is important for the maintenance of
genetic diversity. "

That statement appears to exclude Heritage seeds (and small
producers/traders in Heritage seeds) from the need to register
varieties.

Paras 36 and 37 also appear to derogate Heritage material

Plus, there will be no restriction or registration requirement on
non-
commercial exchanges of seed between private individuals

Janet"
Unquote

The full thread is at
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...rec.gardening/

meNv8Dz6kII

I suggest you check your kill file and remove Janet's name from it if
it's there.

Thanks - drifting of topic a bit but was there a problem with two Janets,
one of whom was offensive, and possibly both posting from the same
identity?

If so, has this been resolved?

Cheers

Dave R