Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Petition against ban on non-approved seeds

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote:

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Our allotment society has circulated this link.

For what it's worth: when I attended the Seed Saver's Exchange summer
gathering in Iowa (I know; across the pond and a lot of land as well), one
of the speakers said that the E.U. group working on standardizing plants
had loosened its grip quite a bit, to allow the variation of landraces as
well as to make it clear that heirloom seed loonies (my term) could do as
they wished, including trading amongst themselves, even if money changes
hands.
Now, you may well argue that the real concern is whether there should be
any regulation at all, but that's another bag of genes.
Personally, I'm more concerned about the very small number of very large
companies who have dominion over our food supplies.
See also, "Fahrenheit 451."
I'm an heirloom rutabaga and a foliage turnip probably not found elsewhere
(It was in the East German seed bank and seems to have disappeared from
listings.)

The colonial will be quiet now...;