Old 25-08-2013, 06:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Grenou[_2_] Grenou[_2_] is offline

Default Weed of the week: seed head

"Mad Cow" wrote in message ...

In article , Grenou
iamhere@mostofthetime.? writes
I once bought the seeds from Thompson & Morgan! Took a while to get rid of
the plants when I realised how invasive they were.
But they weren't a problem.
Our soil is very sandy, so it's easy to pull the plants up before they set
seed.
I kept the white ones for a while.
Haven't seen one in our garden for years, so must have done a good job :-)

You're the first person I've known who's bought it, but when I was a
child our parents collected some seeds from the grounds of a stately
home and sowed them in our garden. Like you we realised our mistake
after a couple of years and had to pull them all out.
Tomorrow I'll be with a gang of birdwatchers trying to remove it from
the banks of the River Loddon. It's rather late in the season, I think
some of it will have ripened seeds already.
--
Sue ]

--------

I think they're different altogether when growing near water, that must be a
bit of a nightmare.
Good luck with that :-)
I hope you'll never have to do that with Japanese knotweed!

Grenou