Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Viable Seed Age

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 3:09:11 PM UTC-4, Gary Woods wrote:
songbird wrote:

does either say anything about freezing as a

possibility for pepper seeds? i would suspect

not, but ...

Most seeds can be stored at freezer temps long term, IF they are thoroughly

dry (seed banks test a sample) and stored in a vapor-tight container. I

know Seed Saver's Exchange uses heat sealable bags rather like the

"seal-a-meal" ones, but heaver and with a foil layer.

In just cool/dry conditions, peppers only last a few years for me, as

opposed to 8 or 10 or more for brassicas and tomatoes.

They may be oxygen barrier bags that they use. We used those for Hops when we had the Brew Store. They work very well for long term stuff
MJ