Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sterilizing Kilner jars

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
On 07/09/2013 13:54, Nick Maclaren wrote:

BUT THE RISK OF DEATH IS *V*E*R*Y* HIGH IF IT DOES HAPPEN.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Think you'll find that although that used to be the case, with antitoxin
treatment and intensive care (mainly artificial respiration), it is down
to around 10%, maybe less.

Am I allowed to mention again (naturally in a whisper) that food-borne
botulism is incredibly rare in this country, so either everyone has
sensibly taken Nick's advice for the last 40-50 years or the risk of you
catching it (noting that the original thread only mentioned bottling fruit
and vegetables) is actually miniscule to non-existent.

So, please take extra care on the ladder when you're picking your own
fruit or as you drive to the shops to buy fruit and vegetables, because
you are at much greater risk of accidents and even death when carrying out
those activities than you are from catching botulism by eating
inadequately sterilised fruit or veg.

--
Malcolm

If I use Kilner jars for bottling, I sterilise them in my oven. Haven't
died of botulism yet.
I haven't tried the other method of sterilising solution, as in winemaking.
It may well work, but I prefer not to risk it.
Too much at stake.