Old 13-09-2013, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Drought threatens

Farm1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
songbird wrote:

local fire burglars?

Those who set fires, either because they think it improves their
pasture (it doesn't) or for fun, or both.

Why do you say it doesn't improve pastures? From observation, I'd
say it probably did improve pastures even if just because it cleans
out things like tussocks and other weeds etc and doesn't add anything.

Yes it does reduce some obvious weeds and gives a nice green flush if you
get a shower of rain afterwards. It is cheap compared with slashing.

But....

If not a hot fire it selectively reduces more tender grasses to the benefit
of tougher ones (eg blady grass), if a hot fire it also tends to destroy the
stolons of the grass along with the weeds so favouring seed-propagated
grasses over perennials. I think a mixed pasture with both is desireable.

It reduces organic matter which helps to hold soil moisture and nutrients, I
want to build organic content not burn it.

It reduces volatile nutrients, eg nitrogen compounds, which then have to be
replaced with chicken litter, urea etc.

It pollutes the air.

If heavy rain falls or strong wind blows after burning it can result in
erosion.

To me it a practice of yesteryear along with set stocking in big paddocks,
random (in)breeding and 'when in doubt add more super(phosphate)'. I
*might* consider doing it once to begin the rehabilitation of a badly weed
infested paddock but as an annual ritual I think it is very misguided.

have a look at this:

http://www.northern.cma.nsw.gov.au/d...hernrivers.pdf

David