Old 13-09-2013, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Viable Seed Age

Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:
Farm1 wrote:
This will be the first season that I've tried growing capsicum (peppers)
from seed saved last year so I don't yet know by 1st hand experience how
viable saved capsicum seed may be. I did however check what my 2 seed
saving books say.

The 1st book which is USian but which I don't like a lot is 'Seed to
Seed'
and it says 50% viabiliy at 3 years if stored correctly. The Australian
book 'The Seed Savers Handbook' says they remain viable for 5 years if
stored correctly.

Sounds like you should be OK if either or both of them are right.

does either say anything about freezing as a
possibility for pepper seeds? i would suspect
not, but ...

I've just checeked and neither mention freezing as a storage option - just
the cool dark place option.

ok, thanks.

one correspondent uses the refrigerator and
reports acceptable germination rates for some
peppers after almost 20 years.

i don't do my own pepper or tomato starts
here... would rather keep worms i guess.

I'm waiting for a little more heat to do either and i"m also going ot do
physalis at the same time.

our first frost warning is for tonight. brr!
but the cooler weather means i'm getting outside
again today.

songbird