Old 13-09-2013, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chipper/shredders?

On 13/09/13 15:43, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:39:18 +0100, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 13/09/13 15:22, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:51:29 +0100, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 13/09/13 11:40, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:21:24 +0100, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 29/08/13 08:53, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

I did read this:

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/shredder.htm

but if I was looking for a shredder/chipper to handle odd branches and lots
of hawthorn clippings, which would be a good model?

The purpose is to have less bulk and more ready to compost material.

Electric is OK. Bosch have a few that will do (claimed) up to 4cm or so
thick branches. I will have a few of those, but mostly I'm looking to deal
with a wheelie bin packed solid with finer clippings from mainly a hawthorn
hedge.

Will any of the consumer ones be useful rather than a PITA? Last time I used
a chipper it was a full sized hire one - as in "stuff in an entire 3"
hawthorn trunk with branches and watch as the hydraulic power feed sucked it
to its doom".

Cheers!

Tim

For info only, without comment:
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/09/deal-of-the-week-save-165-on-this-bosch-garden-shredder--333735/

When did Which? start advertising products?

Strictly speaking, never. But nowadays the word "strictly" has to be included

To all intents and purposes deal of the week is an advert,

I don't regret canceling my Which? subscription ten years ago,.

I have considered that, but don't think it is justified.
They are still the best source of general information.

Their "local traders" section has the distinct advantage that
(compared to say TripAdvisor) people have to pay before
they can express an opinion, which keeps the riff-raff out

My Dutch CA subscription is about to be cancelled too.

More ethically tricky, IMHO, is that they allow
products to advertise they are "which? best buy", e.g.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/information/awards-endorsements/which-best-buy-awards-2013/

In the early days they used take legal action against those who did.

They did indeed. I rather like that. Nowadays one has to take
their lack-of-bias much more on trust. If I ever saw something
that made me doubt it, I'd re-evaluate my position.

They are very weak on testing things like cameras.
I bought a camera Which? recommended only to find that other more
professional testers had found an obvious weakness.

Of course.

Anybody that relies on one source of information is not a
wise person, particularly for something that is deeply technical.

However, they do allow me to narrow down my search by
- ignoring most of the second and third rate products
- giving me info that can't easily be obtained from
reviews, e.g. long-term reliability, customer support etc

And that's worth having since it saves me time.