Old 14-09-2013, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default 2013 season update

"Farm1" wrote in message
"songbird" wrote in message

'Bird, I've had a filthy cough too and I have bee using mentholed chest
rub (Vicks) at night and that has helped, but the best help has been from
a cough medicine called Rikodeine which has stopped the hacking at night.
You might need a Doctor's script for it depending on where you live as it
has codeine in it - it's the only cough medicine I've ever foudn that
works.

The one other thing that actually also helped was putting Vicks on my feet
before going to bed and then putting socks on over the Vicks. I mentioned
that to someone and they said that was their Mum's secret to chesty
recovery when they were a child.

My mum, who qualified as an old wife, used to rub a garlic clove on our feet
for chesty colds. We woke up with garlic breath which, to me, indicated the
garlic spread through the body. No idea if it really worked but we did
appreciate the extra attention.

I have only just been reminded of this and regret not having done it to my
children when they were young.

Mike