Old 14-09-2013, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default 2013 season update

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message
. au...

"Farm1" wrote in message
"songbird" wrote in message

'Bird, I've had a filthy cough too and I have bee using mentholed chest
rub (Vicks) at night and that has helped, but the best help has been from
a cough medicine called Rikodeine which has stopped the hacking at night.
You might need a Doctor's script for it depending on where you live as it
has codeine in it - it's the only cough medicine I've ever foudn that
works.

The one other thing that actually also helped was putting Vicks on my
feet before going to bed and then putting socks on over the Vicks. I
mentioned that to someone and they said that was their Mum's secret to
chesty recovery when they were a child.

My mum, who qualified as an old wife, used to rub a garlic clove on our
feet for chesty colds. We woke up with garlic breath which, to me,
indicated the garlic spread through the body.

That is really interesting. Who'd a thunk that would happen.....

I like old memories coming back and these days even note then down in the
family history records to add flesh to the bones of Born, Died, Married.

No idea if it really worked but we did
appreciate the extra attention.

I have only just been reminded of this and regret not having done it to my
children when they were young.

:-)) I wonder why garlic instead of Vicks?

But then garlic and onions are supposed to be good for chesty type gunk. I
remember one of the old wives remedies used to be to chop up an onion finely
and add brown sugar and let it stand for a while and then to drain off the
juice and take that by the spoonful.

And whilst I've had the coldy thing, I had a craving for lemons served up in
all ways. I made lemon curd/butter and ate it by the spoonful. It was very
soothing on my throat but probably not good for the cholesterol or the
waistline (not that I try to pay too much attention to either of those
things).