Old 15-09-2013, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default 2013 season update

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

@notme.com wrote:
On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:49:40 +1000, "Farm1"
wrote:

But then garlic and onions are supposed to be good for chesty type
gunk. I remember one of the old wives remedies used to be to chop
up an onion finely and add brown sugar and let it stand for a while
and then to drain off the juice and take that by the spoonful.

And whilst I've had the coldy thing, I had a craving for lemons
served up in all ways. I made lemon curd/butter and ate it by the
spoonful. It was very soothing on my throat but probably not good
for the cholesterol or the waistline (not that I try to pay too much
attention to either of those things).

You might enjoy a ginger, lemon and honey tea laced with brandy -
very good for congestion.

Kate

Old fashioned remedies are often cute but rarely effective beyond the
placebo effect.

For the past 40 years my Doctor has said to me of colds that I can have
medication which will cure me in 7 days time or I can try the Granny
remedies and I'll be cured in a week.

But what does she know.......................