Old 14-09-2013, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Ensete ventricosum Maurelii

"Janet" wrote

Has anyone managed to over-winter this outdoors? I have just acquired
one (couldn't resist end of season sale knockdown price) and am torn
between which way to gamble with its life :-) , either plant it deep in
sheltered sunny spot, cut it back, give the crown max protection, and
cross fingers; or, dry it off and replant next year.

All I can add is that Musella lasiocarpa is supposed to be the hardiest of
the "bananas" but we nearly lost ours trying to overwinter it planted
outside in a well protected S. facing spot, no sun until noon. There was
just one little shoot that grew the next year which I now have in a pot (and
back to a decent size) which we keep in our heated greenhouse over winter
(min 50°F).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.