Old 16-09-2013, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Strange orchid behaviour?

On 2013-09-16 16:13:03 +0100, Spider said:

On 16/09/2013 14:41, Sacha wrote:
I have a two stem orchid, a phalaenopsis and one stem appears to be
producing a budding shoot from a leaf node a third of the way up one 2'
stem and it looks as if there might be a bud forming on the very tip of
that original stem. The other seemed to be doing the same at the tip but
it was knocked off. ;-( I'm just letting it get on with it but
wondered if this is normal behaviour for these orchids. All the other
leaf nodes are blank and it's going to look a bit strange when/if it
flowers! The original stems aren't dying back at all, so I've left well
alone.

It sounds as if you may have the beginnings of a keiki or baby orchid.
Wait until it has put on a few aerial roots, then snip it free of the
parent plant and pot it up. You can then cut back the remainder of the
stem on the parent orchid to the base.

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-care/Orchid-Keikis.html

The keiki will be identical to the parent. I have one several years
old now and it flowers well.

Thanks to you and to Bob. I think I'll take a photo of it and see what
you think.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com