Old 17-09-2013, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
S.Rodgers S.Rodgers is offline

Default Source of microgreens seeds?

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 10:16:29 -0400, Derald
wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

What do _you_ mean by "microgreens". As far as I can determine,
microgreens are a resurgent fad among foodies. I first saw them used in
the Oz version of "Masterchef". Some sources claim them to be
"specially bred" miniatures while others freely admit "microgreens" to
be seedlings with their first couple of true leaves. Regardless of
which, they sell at inflated prices to the gullible. True believers
claim enhanced nutritional properties; cynics wish the idea had been
theirs.
Here is a link to a brief item published by USA's propaganda
ministry:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/08/29/160274163/introducing-microgreens-younger-and-maybe-more-nutritious-vegetables
In it, you'll notice that at least 7 days' growth magically transforms
"sprouts" into "microgreens".
Some seedsmen actually sell "microgreens" seeds. Here is one
example. Prices are typical:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-48-micro-greens.aspx

Microgreens are just a way for us apartment dwellers to have salad
greens all year around. That's the idea, anyway. I already grow
sunflower seeds, pea shoots and wheatgrass in flats in my tiny
bachelor apartment, but I'd like to expand to grow salad greens but
only as microgreens and not as full plants. I just don't have the
room or the time for that. My favourite microgreen is mesclun mix
which sells locally in grocery stores and health food store as more
expensive than greens since they're much more tender and the growers
have to use a lot more seed to get yields.