Old 19-09-2013, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default what is the most unusual critter (pics)

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
songbird said:

http://www.anthive.com/flowers/100_8284_Not_Sure.jpg

Juvenile red tailed hawk.

Most definitely a buteo rather than a harrier--short legs and
tail.

thanks. i'll correct my file names and links...

You might be pleased to know that one of the red tailed hawk
pair that have been observed by the nest camera at Cornell
seemed to specialize in chipmunks. Maybe your young one
will learn to catch them!

i haven't seen a single chipmunk in days. i can hope
so. it was a treat to get a few strawberries
yesterday.

we had to run to the airport today so i am not sure
if it was wandering around in the yard again or not.

i would not mind having it as a regular resident as
it is very peaceful bird (never heard it make any
calls) and somewhat calm when huntings/stalking other
than the few bouts of humor when it is chasing some-
thing.

i am still quite amazed at how calm it was even
when i was outside and not too far from it. it
would turn its head to look at me and then go
right back to stalking, perching and looking and
listening for food. i got up on the roof and did
some work up there and it didn't even budge from
the perch for most of the hour until it finally
found something worth pouncing on.

i sure would not get very close to it knowingly
as it does look to have very sharp/big claws and
a very pointy beak.

songbird