Old 20-09-2013, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Soaker hose

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:
I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose they carry was so crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home Despot. Carried same brand.

Decided to revert to previous M.O. : PVC pipe, capped at one end, other end equipped with hose junction. Small holes punched at intervals.

Remember, you'll get a significant difference in amount of water leaked
or sprayed at the beginning compared to the end of the length. You may
want to do an experimental run, and plan on drilling more holes towards
the far end of the run once you've seen how the pattern you've drilled
behaves.

FWIW, I buried some of what I call "ooze hose" -- it looks foamy --
http://www.groworganic.com/1-4-mr-so...-100-roll.html under mulch
and it lasted for many, many years. In clay soils, I like the laser
drilled 1/4" tubing.

And don't forget a backflow preventer.

Kay