Old 21-09-2013, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Soaker hose

On Friday, September 20, 2013 2:42:03 PM UTC-7, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:

I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose they carry was so crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home Despot. Carried same brand.

Decided to revert to previous M.O. : PVC pipe, capped at one end, other end equipped with hose junction. Small holes punched at intervals.

Remember, you'll get a significant difference in amount of water leaked

or sprayed at the beginning compared to the end of the length. You may

want to do an experimental run, and plan on drilling more holes towards

the far end of the run once you've seen how the pattern you've drilled

behaves.

Tx Kay. Been there with existing PVC pipe "sprayer". Main thing is to keep it level. But I did notice on existing one that holes should be drilled on opposite sides of pipe to ensure even coverage.

FWIW, I buried some of what I call "ooze hose" -- it looks foamy --

http://www.groworganic.com/1-4-mr-so...-100-roll.html under mulch

and it lasted for many, many years. In clay soils, I like the laser

drilled 1/4" tubing.

Sounds too high-tech for moi g

backflow preventer:

? Why would I need that on such a simple installation? Alerted by you, I read the (terrifying) Wikipedia article, and wonder how I survived all these years using my first basic PVC watering device.g

Perhaps helped that it was downhill from house? Frivolity aside, would it really be needed for small garden beds not uphill from house water supply?

HB