Old 21-09-2013, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Soaker hose

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:28:58 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott
wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for
new

areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose they

carry was so crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home Despot.

Carried same brand.

Decided to revert to previous M.O. : PVC pipe, capped at one end,

other end equipped with hose junction. Small holes punched at

intervals.

Previous endeavour had holes randomly placed; sprayed unevenly.

Resolved to do better.

How engineer holes along 10' length? How many needed for optimum

coverage?

First thought: Alternate holes along opposite sides of pipe. But

at what intervals? Punch holes at wide intervals and then

intersperse if needed?

A lot of work. However, once I bought the fittings (pipe courtesy
of

neighbor)

gotta go through with it.

Sigh...

HB

This is going via Timbucktoo. If going to the trouble of buying and
laying

the hose, connecting it and punching the holes why not go the whole
way and

insert spray jets?

Wouldn't that be much more expensive? To install (immovable) spray
jets in multiple beds sounds pricey.

no the plastic ones are cheap, a few dollars for a pack of 50

This project so far is under
$10 and PVC pipes are movable. Plus not sure I would have the skill
to install spray jets.

You're right, screwing a threaded barb into a hole in polypipe is probably
beyond you.