Old 21-09-2013, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Soaker hose

Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:
I have these placed in beds all over the garden. Needed some for
new areas. Went to OSH (local homeowners/garden place). Only hose
they carry was so crappy, it split even before using. Tried Home
Despot. Carried same brand.

Decided to revert to previous M.O. : PVC pipe, capped at one end,
other end equipped with hose junction. Small holes punched at
intervals.

Remember, you'll get a significant difference in amount of water
leaked
or sprayed at the beginning compared to the end of the length. You
may
want to do an experimental run, and plan on drilling more holes
towards
the far end of the run once you've seen how the pattern you've drilled
behaves.

FWIW, I buried some of what I call "ooze hose" -- it looks foamy --
http://www.groworganic.com/1-4-mr-so...-100-roll.html under
mulch
and it lasted for many, many years. In clay soils, I like the laser
drilled 1/4" tubing.

And don't forget a backflow preventer.

Why?

David

If there is sufficient pressure in the system -- beyond the connection
to the hose bib -- it is possible for there to be backflow into your
household water line. Soil and soil organisims can enter the system
through the holes in the PVP pipe when the water is shut off. Thus,
there is a possibility of contaminating the household water supply.

In general, a system as proposed by Higgs Boson should have a backflow
preventer, sometimes known as an anti-syphon valve. The building codes
in California (where Higgs and I both live) require it.

In my garden, I paid a landscape contractor to install a fixed
irrigation system with underground pipes supplying above-ground
sprinkler heads. I have a total of 9 valves for the flat areas and 4
valves for the hill, with 13 anti-syphon valves. The same contractor
also designed and installed the landscape.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see