Old 21-09-2013, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Soaker hose

Brooklyn1 wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Kay Lancaster wrote:

And don't forget a backflow preventer.

Why?

In the US you don't need a back flow valve for water coming from a
hose bib, it already has a back flow valve from the main, the entire
residence is protected... back flow valves are required for automatic
irrigation systems because they are typically supplied directly from
the water main before the residential back flow valve. But not
knowing the codes where you live you may want to check... but water
from a hose bib I seriously doubt needs a backflow valve... you've
probably been using the hose bib to irrigate from since the house was
built

Not quite. My house and garden water supply are two enitirely different
systems with different origins, different lines and different destinations.

In the days when I lived on municipal water I installed several watering
systems attached to the mains (as did many neighbours) and none had a
backflow valve nor was there any municipal regulation or talk of such in any
of the literature.