Old 22-09-2013, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default Is this a tuber?

"Sadge" wrote in message

I bought a lot of trailing begonia plugs this year and the display has
been simply amazing.

I understand that begonias can be overwintered if they are the type
which grow from tubers, but I don't know which type mine are.

The variety is called 'Orange Sparkle' and I have posted a picture of
what I hope is a tuber on my Picassa web album.

Please could somebody tell me if the hard, pink nobbly thing at the
bottom of the stems is a tuber?

http://tinyurl.com/loqxgyx

Yup, definately a tuber or to be more precise a corm. Leave the plants
until they are frosted then lift, wash off any soil or compost and leave
them to dry in seed trays or similar, and after a couple of weeks or
so, store them in bags or nets in a cool but frost free area. At the end
of March, bring them into the warm and as soon as buds appear, pot
them into 3"pots, just below soil level. I have been using a similar
variety for summer bedding for 5 years now, with over 200 corms,
and they are superb here in the north of Scotland.

Phil