Old 22-09-2013, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is this a tuber?

On 22/09/2013 15:32, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Sadge wrote:

I bought a lot of trailing begonia plugs this year and the display has
been simply amazing.

I understand that begonias can be overwintered if they are the type
which grow from tubers, but I don't know which type mine are.

The variety is called 'Orange Sparkle' and I have posted a picture of
what I hope is a tuber on my Picassa web album.

Please could somebody tell me if the hard, pink nobbly thing at the
bottom of the stems is a tuber?

http://tinyurl.com/loqxgyx

It looks like one. It won't be one of these, even though it looks
a bit like one :-)

http://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/naked-mole-rat

Are you absolutely certain that the IBC aren't considering Begonia
heterocephalusi as a valid name? ;-)

--

Jeff