Old 22-09-2013, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Blackberry ripening.

On 22/09/2013 18:46, Graham Harrison wrote:
Maybe my Blackberry patch (wild) is odd but the Blackberries that ripen
first are always the ones right at the tip/farthest from the roots.
It's not that they're in sun because the ones hiding under leaves do it
too. Once I've picked that first one there is then a slight hiatus and
then each fruiting spur proceeds in much the same way, the one at the
end of the tip first then the others.

There is probably a logical explanation why but I can't work it out!
Can someone enlighten me please?

It's because they are the first flowers to open