Old 22-09-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Is this a tuber?

"Phil Gurr" wrote
Yup, definately a tuber or to be more precise a corm. Leave the plants
until they are frosted then lift, wash off any soil or compost and leave
them to dry in seed trays or similar, and after a couple of weeks or
so, store them in bags or nets in a cool but frost free area. At the end
of March, bring them into the warm and as soon as buds appear, pot
them into 3"pots, just below soil level. I have been using a similar
variety for summer bedding for 5 years now, with over 200 corms,
and they are superb here in the north of Scotland.

I leave mine in the compost they have grown in but turn the pots onto their
sides and leave them under the bench in my greenhouse (min 50°F) to dry out.
When I see tiny buds of growth appearing in the spring then I repot with
damp compost. Take care not to overdo the watering at first. If you want to
increase your stock then take cuttings during the season which will root and
grow new corms.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.