Old 23-09-2013, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Keeping cats out of garden

On 22/09/2013 23:53, Let It Be wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
Is there a way?

I'm getting a tad tired of the number of piles of mouldy cat[1] poo
appearing of late.

[1] Almost certain it's a cat - there are sometimes vague attempts to
scratch the ground and bury it, but often not successful. Volume and
size is too small for a fox.

There are 3-4 cats that appear regularly.

I know it's not going to be easy - but I was wondering if there is a
chemical I can spray around the permimeter that is either deeply
unpleasant to cats or makes them regard it as marked territory?

I don't mind the odd cat, but they are becoming a right pest lately.

I've had great success with unprocessed chicken manure spread over the earth
and initially watered - it even stops my cats from crapping where it's used
for long periods of time. The upshot is that they then use the neighbours
gardens instead!

IMO the popularity of bird feeders has increased the mice and rat
populations. I'm very grateful if a cat patrols our garden, especially
as I don't have to feed them