Old 23-09-2013, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default What trees to plant ?

"pacca" wrote:
"Hornmeister68" wrote:

Been spending a lot of time in my garden this Summer and I want to plant
a tree, or even trees at the bottom of my garden as we're overlooked by
the house at the back.

I want to know what's the best tree to plant ? Our garden is North East
facing and the soil is clay which obviously retains a lot of moisture
and there is some shade there,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

a small leaf linden tree,very nice!

Very nice tree but don't let that "small leaf" part fool you, it can
also grow HUGE!
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/t/tilcor/tilcor1.html

Perhaps a washington hawthorne would be appropriate:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/washin...thorn-tree.htm
This one is mine:
http://i39.tinypic.com/8y6xqr.jpg
If unpruned hawthorn can also be used for screening.
Makes a great shade tree, its leaves are dense but small so they just
blow away, no raking.