View Single Post
  #13   Report Post  
Old 23-09-2013, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Default What trees to plant ?

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 04:20:42 -0500, pacca wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this site as well as pretty new to gardening.

Been spending a lot of time in my garden this Summer and I want to plant
a tree, or even trees at the bottom of my garden as we're overlooked by
the house at the back.

I want to know what's the best tree to plant ? Our garden is North East
facing and the soil is clay which obviously retains a lot of moisture
and there is some shade there,

Things to think about:

How big of a space do you have before it overhangs the garage or neighbor's property?
Don't choose something too big, or it becomes a maintenance hazard (or you have to pay a small
fortune to take it down and start over).

What's the soil pH? Different species tolerate different soil pHs. Choose something that
likes the soil you've got and it will grow well.

Deciduous or evergreen?

How many hours a day does that spot get sun?

What other things do you want it to do for you? Fruit? Nuts? Interesting bark? Spring or summer
or fall color?

How much care are you willing to give a tree? They all need consistent care until they're well
established, but a fruit tree will always need care if you're going to be happy with the fruit.

If it's a deciduous tree, how much "mess" will you tolerate. Honey locust has very fine, small
leaflets that practically disappear when they drop, so you can avoid a lot of raking. Catalpa or
Paulownia, with their huge leaves, will kill the lawn in spots if you don't keep the leaves raked.
Etc.

Walk around your area and take note of trees you like. Take some photos. If you've got a botanical
garden or arboretum, go there and take a notes (their plants are usually
identified.) Draw up a site plan and take some photos. Talk to your best local
nurseries or good landscape architects about whether any of the
species you've been attracted to are good choices for the spot you've got on mind.

Don't rush into this. A well chosen tree will add enjoyment and value to your property. A poorly chosen
tree can be anything from a dud to a major expense and lawsuits from the neighbors. Take your
time. Consult local experts.

Kay