Old 25-09-2013, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default So, Calif NG?

On 9/24/13 5:46 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
ISTR there used to be a NG devoted to So. Calif gardening. I just did
a search under All Groups, but did not find. Anybody know/remember
such a NG?

It gets awfully quiet on rec.gardens this time of year. Would be
nice to schmooze with gardeners just sowing their "winter" crops.
Not that I don't love rec.gardens but..

So far I have snow peas racing up the vines. Radishes going gang
busters. Which is interesting, because I have always had terrible
luck with this easiest, kindergarten-level veg! Trying broccoli
again after many years. Also Brussels sprouts. Green onions.
Beets. Spinach. Lettuce. Dunno why I am sowing the latter; I never
seem to use it. Prefer "chopped" salads. Oh well, can always give
to neighbors.

Finished the yellow/gold peppers on the Home Depot vine. Didn't
quite amortise the $10.98 I paid for that planter, but whatthehell.
However, next year, if I am spared, I will plant a thinner-skinned
variety.

Thus endeth the lesson.
HB

I don't recall ever seeing a So. Cal. gardening newsgroup. I have
always lived within a 35 mile radius of the Sepulvida Pass and have been
gardening since 1966.

Most of my musings about gardening are found in my garden diary. See
the link in my signature block at the bottom of this message.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see