Old 25-09-2013, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default So, Calif NG?

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:29:57 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 9/24/13 5:46 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

ISTR there used to be a NG devoted to So. Calif gardening. I just did

a search under All Groups, but did not find. Anybody know/remember

such a NG?

It gets awfully quiet on rec.gardens this time of year. Would be

nice to schmooze with gardeners just sowing their "winter" crops.

Not that I don't love rec.gardens but..

So far I have snow peas racing up the vines. Radishes going gang

busters. Which is interesting, because I have always had terrible

luck with this easiest, kindergarten-level veg! Trying broccoli

again after many years. Also Brussels sprouts. Green onions.

Beets. Spinach. Lettuce. Dunno why I am sowing the latter; I never

seem to use it. Prefer "chopped" salads. Oh well, can always give

to neighbors.

Finished the yellow/gold peppers on the Home Depot vine. Didn't

quite amortise the $10.98 I paid for that planter, but whatthehell.

However, next year, if I am spared, I will plant a thinner-skinned

variety.

Thus endeth the lesson.

HB

I don't recall ever seeing a So. Cal. gardening newsgroup. I have

always lived within a 35 mile radius of the Sepulvida Pass and have been

gardening since 1966.

Most of my musings about gardening are found in my garden diary. See

the link in my signature block at the bottom of this message.

Yes, I have visited and will again. You are so awesomely organized!!

I'm about to make another try at creating a watering schedule. So far, it's been "uh, guess I haven't watered here lately"... With climate change, unusual summer heat, etc. time to get organized.

I checked a few sites on-line for "watering diagran" but just found instructions. I know I can do it myself (lazy-busy)was just wondering whether anyone knows of such a diagram to download.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6404860_desi...ng-system.html

For the info of those in different areas, this "Mediterranean" climate is also basically a desert. Rainy season -- in theory -- November - March. Actually inadequate. Dependent on imported water.

If water had not been brought in from the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada (Northern mountain range)* via several historical and colorful efforts, LA could never have grown into a mega-blob (oops, "city".) Santa Monica, where I garden, is a tiny city between LA and the Pacific.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6404860_desi...ng-system.html
en/climate.html

HB