Old 28-09-2013, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default Tree planted has air pockets

On September 27, 2013, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Davej wrote:
Drew Lawson wrote:
Davej galt... writes:

I have not been having too much luck with planting fruit
trees. I seem to be doing something wrong. I end up with
air pockets around the roots. Any suggestions?

It takes time for soil to settle. Water (as appropriate to your
local seasons), and the soil will settle into any voids.

Is there an actual problem that you are experiencing with your
trees? Or are you just looking for problems while waiting for the
next season comes around? (I've done that more than a few times.)

I've had almost every recently planted tree die and I'm looking for
the reason.

I doubt air pockets are the problem. Any more information? What trees?
What conditions? What climate, soil..............

Various dwarf fruit trees; cherry, plum, apricot. Soil here is gray clay. Summers in the Midwest US are very dry but I try to water regularly. Deer are often a problem for the trees but when I notice damage I try to wrap them in plastic fencing. Of the last four trees planted only one is still surviving.