Old 30-09-2013, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
New Guy New Guy is offline

Default Has anyone ever propegated Magnolia Tripetalis from seed ?

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 02:01:03 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

No, I haven't... but a couple of points from an old seed lab hand:

1) if you've got a seed source handy, consider trying to germinate
half-developed seed immediately,
no scarification or vernalization. In fact, if they're really handy,
I'd start collecting 10 seeds every week after the first month after
pollination, and try to germinate immediately.
Many seeds "add" dormancy factors towards the end of seed development,
and you may be able to shortcut vernalization by going for less
completely developed seeds. It's worth a try if it's not too much of a
nuisance for you.

2) Some species put down big tap roots, and then have problems if the
tap root is later disturbed. There's been work on some species that
suggests that letting them grow till the tap root is maybe 3-4" long and
then trimming off the very tip of that root encourages better growth
after transplanting. Again, I know nothing to suggest that this is the
case with M. tripetala but it would be an interesting experiment if
you've got seedlings available and a few extra minutes of time.

Kay

Thanks Kay. I will have to wait until next year to try your suggestions.
There are no more cones available at this time.

Paul