Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default OT beds

On 2013-10-01 16:17:04 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 10/1/2013 3:22 PM, Spider wrote:

Since you're so impressed, perhaps you would be happy to answer a
long-standing query I have with regard to memory foam mattresses?

Although it can be demonstrated that they do 'remember', say, the
pressure of a hand (as in the advertising), how do we know they're
remembering a good posture, as opposed to a bad posture?

I've never thought that 'memory' foam was a particularly good name...

What my back appreciates about it, is that, for instance, when I lie on
my side, my well-rounded hip sinks in to the mattress, but my waist is
still properly supported - it allows my spine to be straight, rather
than curving sideways to fit the flat, firm, surface of my previous
sprung mattress.

In very hot, humid weather, I add a fluffy cotton-covered mattress pad.
It slows down the shape-accommodation of the foam, but stops me feeling
hot and sticky.

It would probably be better if it was just called a contour foam, or
something of that sort. I was highly sceptical because my last 'foam
mattress' was on a boat and its memory was altogether too good. It
adopted all the dents and hollows of which the human shape is capable
and held onto them indefinitely, after a very few months. My experience
with the Tempur pillow is that it simply supports the head and neck and
there is absolutely no shape of me left behind! And I am *very* fussy
about my pillows because not only can they affect my balance next day
but also my sleep each night. Given David's back problems I'd
certainly recommend one of those, too. I have two ordinary pillows on
top for reading etc. and Ray sleeps with one on top of his Tempur
pillow. But I find that the height, density and 'slope' of that
pillow is absolutely perfect. My daughter, who has had recent neck
surgery, lower back surgery (and is facing more, probably on her lower
back) absolutely swears by the pillow. She hasn't yet bought the
mattress only because she's waiting to see what her surgeon's final
pronouncement is! Otoh, an 80 year old friend who had back surgery
several times, a long time ago, has a Tempur mattress and is totally
enamoured of it. I really don't know if one make is better than
another so can only speak for those I know who have bought that
particular brand.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com