Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mad Cow Mad Cow is offline

Default Weed of the Week: Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris)

In article , BarbaraH
writes
Mad Cow has brought this to us :
Groundsel is an unassuming little weed that grows wherever it can
find a space. Nowadays it's thinly scattered over every continent
including Antarctica. The secret of its success is that the small
plants grow and seed very quickly: it can easily have three
generations in one summer.

Groundsel (Baccharis halimifolia) is a declared class 3 noxious weed,
where I live.

A salt-tolerant shrub from North America - it's not hard to see how that
would be a problem in Australia. It is hard to see why anyone named it
after Groundsel though! I'd make it Weed of the Week if I could take
its picture but it doesn't grow outdoors in our climate.
--
Sue ]