Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default what is the most unusual critter

Davej wrote:
songbird wrote:
you'd ever expect to see chasing and eating
grasshoppers?

I thought your question was going to be...

What is the most unusual critter... you've seen in your garden?

it would be the same answer as i've never
seen a juvenile red tailed hawk before in
the years here. otherwise we have a wide
range of creatures that wander through.

after the two days of it being around we
missed it returning as it was much fun to
watch, but we hoped it was finally able to
move on and perhaps start migrating to a
warmer southern habitat for the coming
winter.

a few days ago there was a lone squirrel
taking a drink from the cement pond (not too
often we see squirrels here). a baby snake
up by the back door. a mashed green praying
mantis in the door frame (was probably not
noticed when closing the door).

the other day picking beans from the back
trellis i heard a ring necked pheasant call
(used to be a common thing, but not as much
the past few years) and saw a blue heron
fly past. earlier i saw a large brown praying
mantis in a different garden where i was
picking beans.

last night i smelled a skunk, heard cats
and raccoons squabbling.

tonight it finally rained again, but not
windy. the two gardens i've managed to get
planted for fall/winter cover have sprouted
and look funny as we are not used to having
grains/grasses growing. i'm glad to have it
rain as we would rather have skyfall dihydrogen
oxide than well water.

good thing i picked more beans before it
rained so they can keep dry until i get them
shelled, sorted and eventually weighed and
noted.

still finding new varieties.

songbird