Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default When to give up on outdoor tomatoes due to blight

On Sat, 05 Oct 2013 16:29:28 +0000, Baz wrote:

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

I'm seeing the first signs of blight.

A few dark patches on stems, a few marked leaves, a few marked
tomatoes.

Mostly the tomatoes seem fine, there is still a large crop and they are
still ripening.

What is the best way to prolong cropping, and how long do you think I
can get away with it?

Cheers

Dave R

Are you sure it is blight?
I think it could be end of season blossom end rot(or whatever they call
it)
Outdoor tomatoes this year have had to put up with some very low night
time temperatures.
It is surely normal at this time of year to have a few dark patches on
stems, and few marked leaves.
I have all of this, but, it IS October after all IMO, expected.

Prolong them by picking the whole vine, before frost and put them in a
dark place to ripen. Some people say put them in a sunny position, but
dark works for me.

Baz

Pretty sure it is blight.

Dark patches on stems.
Dark patches on shrivelled leaves.
Brown areas on small fruit.
General wilting.

Temperature is fine - 18C - and without blight I would expect cropping to
continue until the first frost.

Very sheltered and sunny area.

I need to clear all of the damaged stuff out a.s.a.p.

This is in my back garden, not down at the allotment.

Cheers

Dave R