Old 09-10-2013, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default routine as routine gets

songbird wrote:
lovely weather lately, sunshine, mid 60s-70s most of the
time.

After almost the warmest winter on record I am getting hot inland winds,
unseasonable high temperatures and no rain now for over three months. The
ground is so hard I cannot push in a pig-tailed picket.

that's about it for news on the gardens, in recent readings
i've continued the Biosphere 2 theme and have enjoyed the
various perspectives from the different authors. i have been
reading them in order of publication date the most recent
was _Dreaming the Biosphe the Theatre of All Possibilities_
by Rebecca Reider.

I've been reading the history of the valley where I live. I discovered
(among many things) that we had a gold rush in the late 1800s that
multiplied the population by a factor of 6 or more and was gone in a few
years. They built a whole township including eight pubs (there are only two
in town today) but there is nothing to be seen on the site now.

oh, yes, we've finished the canning for the season. plenty
of tomatoes stocked up again and some apple sauce and pickled
beets.

whatchu been upto?

With great regret I have to stop cutting the asparagus Not long now
for globe artichokes

I spend my days dragging round hoses and irrigating to try to get some kind
of spring growth on my orchard and gardens. At least the river is still
running and I can pump from it. The big subterranean sponge is just about
dry, another month of this and my horses will be very hungry. But by then I
could be complaining about the mud......