Old 10-10-2013, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Orchid keikei?

On 2013-10-08 14:07:56 +0100, Spider said:

On 06/10/2013 17:15, Sacha wrote:
Is it possible for these Phals to develop from the base of the plant,
right beside the already established leaves which have sprouted,
flowered and died back? It looks to me like a whole new plantlet but
for all I know, it could just be new leaves. It seems to be sending out
new roots, too. What do I do now?!

I've never known it happen, Sacha. Could you post a photograph, Please?

Sorry Spider, I forgot all about this photo. You can see the new young
leaves coming through, though one looks as if it's been chomped
already. I can't get a shot of the roots but it does look like a
separate plant.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...4693/lightbox/

Not to worry.
As to the plant, it almost looks as if two orchids were planted in the
same pot, but you would have noticed that, I think. Keikis usually
start on an old flowering stem, rather than at the base of the orchid as
an offset.

If it were mine, I'd leave it alone for now but, in Spring, if the pot
is full of roots and requiring potting on, I'd investigate the
possibility of division then. Bob is urg's consumate orchid expert, so
if he disagrees with me, listen :~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London