Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Orchid keikei?

On 2013-10-10 17:13:33 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

, Spider said:

On 06/10/2013 17:15, Sacha wrote:
Is it possible for these Phals to develop from the base of the plant,
right beside the already established leaves which have sprouted,
flowered and died back? It looks to me like a whole new plantlet but
for all I know, it could just be new leaves. It seems to be sending out
new roots, too. What do I do now?!

I've never known it happen, Sacha. Could you post a photograph, Please?

Sorry Spider, I forgot all about this photo. You can see the new young
leaves coming through, though one looks as if it's been chomped
already. I can't get a shot of the roots but it does look like a
separate plant.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...4693/lightbox/

As I suspected it looks like the original crown has been damaged (water
on it over night?) so it's just growing a new one.

They're in the house, in our bathroom but yes, it's possible someone
watered them while we were away and didn't know about keeping the crown
dry. If I splash any water onto them, I dry the leaves. But thanks to
you and to Spider for the help and interest. I'll get a larger pot from
Orchid World and pot on in spring. I'm so pleased that one orchid is
currently showing off some gorgeous white flowers and another is
growing a stem full of buds. I can't quite get over the speed at which
the new flowering stems grow!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com