Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Never been so scared.

On 11/10/2013 16:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 14:23:18 GMT, Baz wrote:

I was picking up some dropped pears before cutting the lawn and

have
been swarmed by wasps. stung my nostrils and lips just now

I can't decided if that would be my most scary moment or not.

Currently that is held by being sat on the bare earth in a

temporary
air raid shelter made out of sand filled oil drums with 1" gaps
between them dressed in shorts and T shirt surounded by RAF ground
crew who had every scrap of Nuclear, Biological and Chemical suit

on
that they had. You could see the fear in *their* eyes through the
full face masks...

OK, Dave, I would imagine that as being more scary. As scary can be.

Previous to that was going up into the loft for something about this
time of year. Moving about looking for something I became aware of a
strange papery, scratchy, buzzy noise behind me. Turned round and
shone the torch in the direction of the noise. This illuminated a
huge wasps nest and I mean huge, not a football hanging from a rafter
but something about 3' wide filling the 18" gap from the rafters to
ceiling joists. The occupants seemed to be getting a little
distressed by my bumping about, there was a number crawling about the
outside and few taking off straight at me. I beat a very hasty
retreat and shut the hatch.

I think the Bahrain event does have the edge, that certainly gave me
a different perspective on life. The wasps nest still made it's mark
though, I now look around in lofts before going thumping about and
even then any little scratchy noises within the first few minutes
makes the heart beat a little faster...

I remember when I was working in Cardiff seeing some B..... Fool on a
ladder removing the fascia boarding above the bedroom window to get at
a wasps nest.
No protective clothing or anything.
It was his wife standing at the bottom of the ladder who said what he
was doing, I just kept on walking, but faster.
And before anyone says anything , Yes it was a 2 story house.
David