Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default routine as routine gets

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:

I've been reading the history of the valley where I live. I
discovered (among many things) that we had a gold rush in the late
1800s that multiplied the population by a factor of 6 or more and
was gone in a few years. They built a whole township including
eight pubs (there are only two in town today) but there is nothing
to be seen on the site now.

not that much of a deposit for them to continue if it
only went a few years... sedimentary?

Some alluvial and some in seams, apparently the deposit was quite rich but
very localised and when it ran out the miners all headed off to the next big
strike elsewhere.

leaving behind the bakers, barbers, bankers, bars
and a few larger bellies...

around here the history is mostly natives, logging,
and coal mines (underground seams). not much sign of
any of that either on the surface. forests reclaim
land fairly quickly around here.

oh, yes, we've finished the canning for the season. plenty
of tomatoes stocked up again and some apple sauce and pickled
beets.

whatchu been upto?

With great regret I have to stop cutting the asparagus Not
long now for globe artichokes

with it being so dry did you manage much of an
asparagus harvest?

Due to watering it was OK but not great. The fronds are all blowing over in
the wind now...

i'm not sure how easily it spreads by seeds but so far
i've not been able to get "wild" asparagus to take when
i've harvested seeds and then scattered them, but then
we don't have much prime space for them to grow. purely
whimsical and hoping to increase their population.

songbird