Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default routine as routine gets

On 10/12/2013 1:16 AM, songbird wrote:
Frank wrote:
Harvested a lot of chestnuts. So many that I left most for the deer.

Harvested a deer but not one of the ones eating my chestnuts. Looking
forward to fried back straps and chestnut soup.

do you use the leftovers as garden fertilizer?

ours ripened slowly, but came in well at the end.
a few plants are still out there finishing up the
last of their crop, some new flowers.

not seen that sort of damage here as of yet. this
summer we did have some red peppers ferment on the
plant, but the cause was likely some cooler and wetter
spells. our harvest was enough but not the usual
three or four rounds, but more like two to three
rounds.

songbird

Chestnut husks are tossed in bushes. They can still prick your fingers
even a year later. Real PITA. My back yard is semi wild in that
neighbors either leave in wild state or infrequently cut grass and never
fertilize or kill weeds so I don't have to pick them all up. Shells go
in the trash.

Deer leave plenty of fertilizer and can leave back yard looking like a
stock yard. You have to clean your shoes when coming in the house and
chestnuts need to be washed off.

Stink bugs started in PA and have been moving out. A couple of years
ago my peppers were smaller and mottled due to their being pierced by
the stinkbugs. Number of stinkbugs appears to be way down and I wonder
if natural predators have moved in. There was talk of using a small
wasp on them.