Old 12-10-2013, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Walnut trees and cyanide

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 1996 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Can anyone help me with the full story about walnut trees?

I've been getting advice that one should not compost walnut
leaves as they contain cyanide. Is this true?
We've got rhubarb growing under one! What about eating that?

Any advice would be appreciated as the books seem silent on this.

i have herd rumors that when the nut dies (walnut) it produces
cyanide so if they are decomposing in your yard i would watch
what you grow.

The technical term for the posters of those theories is nuts.

Cyanide is produced by many plants, especially the Rosaceae,
and biodegrades very fast indeed. The toxin produced by the
black walnut is not produced by the common walnut in quantity,
and is entirely produced by the roots. Walnut leaves compost
as readily as most others, and food grown under walnuts is fine
to eat.

Just remember, boys, girls and chickens, that the expression The
Web Of A Million Lies is a gross underestimate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.