Old 13-10-2013, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Thick Flowering Hedge

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 1:22:04 PM UTC-7, W wrote:
I am looking for a thick, tall, flowering, fast-growing hedge that does well

in California. So far Oleander looks like a good candidate.

I need:

* Approximately four feet wide, and dense enough that you cannot see through

it.

* Flowering, preferably multiple times a year

* Eight to 10 feet tall

* Very fast growing

* Does well in direct sun and shade

This would be in the San Francisco Bay Area, Mediterranean climate and not

directly on the coast.

I have been trying Photinia as a hedge, but it simply isn't thick enough.

It shoots up new growth in a few major branches, but even in the thickest

sections you can see right through it. It would take six years to get

thick at the current rate, and even then it might not be dense.

Hi, W. You might want to look further Oleander can be lethally poisonous. There are MANY sites on-line that detail the risks. I once had a tenant who asked me to remove the oleander in his yard, for fear of a child or an animal being harmed.

HB