Old 14-10-2013, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Just came accross this. Comments?

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Don't throw it out; use it in the garden

Looking for a cheaper way to fertilize flowers or keep pests at bay?

snip
Coffee grounds, for example, can be sprinkled at the bottom of any plant to
improve drainage in clay soils, and especially plants that like rich, moist
organic soils like azaleas and blueberries, Tornio says.

I save the coffee pucks from my machine, but there's a plentiful supply if
you have a coffee shop near you.

After the following article came out, Howard Shultz the CEO of Starbucks,
encouraged gardeners to ask for spent pucks from his shops. Remember to
'double bag' as wet grounds are heavy:-
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.UlvSPdBwa1s

Careful how you use it, as caffeine could also endanger beneficial
organisms. I use it as a barrier around plants like Hostas and around
strawberry planters. A layer 2" wide and 1" deep does the job. I put bits of
raised slate over the barrier, to prevent the grounds being washed away. May
still need to be topped up once a month during the season.