Old 14-10-2013, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default First pick of runner beans

Amazing the time lapse. Our beans have cropped, finished, the plants have
been through the shredder and the poles down. My daughter who had quite a
large bed of beans is in the same time scale.

Enjoy your beans, I suppose if you have had a really good crop and you have
a large plateful, you will later be 'full of beans'

Mike

South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message ...

And no, it's not a 'send-up'. Up here in the far north, runner beans
are very much a 'sometimes' crop. The last two summers have been
quite useless but this summer I once again planted out the beans
after the last frost at the end of June. The soil was still cold and
so the plants made a very slow start but by August they were
growing well and the first flowers were appearing. By mid-Sept.
there were masses of flowers but the temperature plummeted and
I thought "that's it for another year. After a superb week of almost
summer weather, I thought I would have a last look at them - and
surprise, surprise; there was a great crop of good sized beans.
Runner beans are one of my favourite vegetables and tonight I am
going to have a feast!!!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland