Old 14-10-2013, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Winter flowering plants for very large shallow containers

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 18:07:34 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 14/10/2013 18:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/10/2013 17:35, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
This year I have grown tomatoes and cucumbers in plastic bags - wide
and shallow - and they have done O.K.

I am now left with these containers for the winter.

I can just leave them, empty them (leaving a blot on the back garden
where they sat), or find a nice winter flowering bedding plant to
cheer them up until spring.

Not having that much success, though.

Do pansies and primroses flower through the winter?

Is there anything else obvious and 'off the shelf' which would do?

Cheers

Dave R

Never grown or even bought one, and they aren't exactly flowers, but
what about those ornamental cabbages? They aren't cheap, though.

If you look around you might find bare rooted wallflower plants, it's a
good time to plant them now. Much better than small
container/transplants.

Will they flower between now and February?